There will soon be a vote on the Equality Act! We need every LGBTQA+ advocate and ally to tell Senators Sasse and Fischer it’s time to support the Equality Act. So let’s write some letters!
What is the Equality Act?
The Equality Act is a federal bill, that if passed, would provide comprehensive LGBTQA+ nondiscrimination protections. It would also update civil rights protections for all protected classes (women, people of color, immigrants, people of faith, etc.) in areas like public accommodations, taxis/ride shares, and federally funded programs. 50 percent of LGBTQ+ people live in the 29 states (which includes Nebraska) that still lack comprehensive statewide laws.
The Equality Act will fight discrimination in:
- Public spaces and services (shops, taxis, etc.)
- Federally funded programs
- Jury services
What to include in your letter
Here’s a quick breakdown of how to write a letter to our senators. It’s easy!
- Your name
- Where you live (include your full address: street number, unit, city, state, zipcode)
- How long you have lived in Nebraska
- Your ask for the Senator (support the Equality Act)
- More about you
- Why you are supportive of the issue, any personal details
- Restate your ask (support the Equality Act)
- Share where you can be reached should the Senator’s office have further questions (street address, phone number, and/or email)
Include in your letter if you are a:
- Person of faith
- Business owner
- Member of any organization
- Leader in your community (public office, church leader, volunteer, etc.)
- Or someone who has personally experienced discrimination
Where do I send my letter?
Time to sign, seal, and deliver! You can send your letter through the mail to the senators’ offices OR email it.
11819 Miracle Hills Dr
Omaha, NE 68154
304 N 168th Cir
Omaha, NE 68118
|Sen. Fischer State Director
|Sen. Sasse State Director